I am not a smoothie-for-breakfast kind of girl but since I’m traveling and I’m on a clean-your-freezer streak, I had to use some frozen berries. There were only a handful, so just perfect for a quick, easy and healthy smoothie. You could use fresh berries, a single kind or a mix, whatever you fancy. However, if using fresh, you might need to add some ice cubes. It will be of a thinner consistency, though.
Ingredients ( for 1 smoothie)
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (mine had raspberries, blackberries,redcurrants, blackcurrants, blueberries, sour cherries, and strawberries)
- half a banana (if you have frozen, all the better)
- 8-10 almonds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (you can use flaxseed instead)
- 3/4 cup low fat milk (soy or almond milk should be good as well)
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional), but berries can be quite tart
Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend till you reach the desired consistency. If you find it too thick, add a bit more milk or ice cubes. I loved it just the way it is. Refreshing and so satisfying! And from the sound of it, I predict more smoothies making their way into my summer.
Do you have smoothies for breakfast? What are your favorite combinations?