This salad is a packful of flavor and health with colors that are so appetizing. The arugula is loaded with vitamins and minerals and the beets are a good source of vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and folate among others. For all its ingredients, this salad is an extremely heart-healthy side, very low in fat and calories and high in antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and mineral. If you choose to add goat cheese to it, it can make a very hearty and satisfying meal.
Ingredients ( 2 servings)
- 1 bunch arugula or rocket leaves, you can easily substitute with spinach
- 1 medium beet, either boiled for 45mn – 1 hr, or drizzled with olive oil and wrapped in foil and roasted for 45mn in a 200 Celsius oven)
- 1 medium orange, peeled and segmented without the pith
- a handful of walnuts, lightly toasted in a skillet, you can use almonds if you prefer
For the citrus dressing
- zest of half the orange
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Arrange the arugula leaves on a plate and layer the beets ( you can also use canned beets if you prefer) and orange segments. Sprinkle with the walnuts or almonds. Whisk all the dressing’s ingredients in a bowl and drizzle on top of the salad just before serving.